So, that time of the year finally came. Getting graded. I am a bit scared, but I think I chose a really interesting topic for my final essay for Research Methodologies (and sticking with it for the time being). Therefore, writing an essay won’t be that hard?!
Here are my aims&objectives that will clarify the subject I am investigating.
My overall aim is to determine a shift of an exhibition space from French Salons to a modernist white cube and back to closely hung art works and cluttered walls.
My objectives are:
- To collect the data on French Salons.
- To discover what a white cube gallery is and how the modernist museum practice is seen today in relation to different eras.
- To explore how display strategies changed through time.
- To examine gallery interiors through the knowledge of world renown curators.
- To see how different gallery displays affect visitors.
The methods I will be using:
- Review secondary research (literature) on the subject.
- Look at ways I approach the display of a particular exhibition.
- See how different curators approach the subject.
- Visits to the galleries.
My approach will be phenomenological, as I will adopt observation and my own participation in the research. In the exploration, I will need ontological approach as well. My inductive investigation will take a qualitative form – I will use just a few exhibitions as an example and secondary sources on a similar subject.
LIST OF PHOTOGRAPHS:
- featured image: (2012) Antony Gormley: Facts and Systems. ⌈photograph⌋ Available from: http://www.antonygormley.com/news/item/type/show/id/2343#p0 ⌈Accessed 30 November 2016⌋.